Welcome....

The photo above, done with my phone, is a moment I had happen in 2009 as the Sun's Light filtered through the Fig Tree on the property where I rent. I named the moment "Smiling Leaf".. may you enjoy your visit... with thanks, magda

Saturday, 24 January 2015

Laughing Kookaburra and Wild Bird Wednesday

Hi and welcome.
        One of the privileges I have where I rent is an array of birds visit.
Some are regulars, some are seasonal.
        This Post is about one of those who are both regular and seasonal, depending on the weather... the Laughing Kookaburra - Dacelo novaeguineae.

        Towards the end of 2012, a local pair checked out an old unused termite nest reasonably high up on a tree near the entrance to the property where I am.

They did the same again towards the end of 2013.

 Sharing with 'Wild Bird Wednesday' 133
Hosted by Stewart M of Melbourne Australia

        I've had the pleasure for both those occasions to experience their routine with the nest and the babies which resulted.  One emerged in January 2013, the other in January 2014.

        For this sharing it will be about the baby who emerged in 2013 and the parents.  The parents are in the introductory photo, and did very well.

        Firstly one of the parents sitting on my clothesline in the morning during early January 2013 ...
 



        Summer was very dry and hot, and food was requested.  The greatest honour the parents gave me was to feed their youngster with the food I was giving.

        By the end of January 2013 rain came...


        As you can see by the photo, not only is Kooky very wet but so is the ground.  You can also see how dry the season was by the colour of the ground, but it was not long before the ground became a lush green again.  Before the rains, even the leaves on trees were curling up and brittle to touch.
        Always has me smile with how quickly brown dry grass becomes green again with sufficient rain.  Green shoots emerge even as the rain is happening.

        After good rain, a clean blue sky creates a wonderful backdrop for a Kookaburra photo...


        Now that you've met one or both parents individually... try as I did to recognise different markings on each so I would know, I dismally failed, so I cannot be precise who was who.  Plus my lack of knowledge prevents me from recognising which is mum and which is dad.

        The next important part is introducing you to the nest...

         Firstly the short road I drive to somewhere and back from somewhere on...


        That view is going from where I am.  On the right, amid those trees is where Kookaburra's nest is.  On the left is my neighbour's home.  Behind me is vacant acreage with trees and a dam.
        Behind me is also where a Kingfisher has a nest in a vacant termite mound up on a tree.  A yearly event with Kingfisher, sometimes twice in succession.

        Kookaburra's nest from that road in December 2012...


        I could hear baby muttering.. I just don't know how to describe the sound, sorry.

        Then a view from inside my area while I'm standing near the large fig tree and looking towards the road.
        A white arrow points to where the nest is located amid the foliage...


        And the moment I had hoped to achieve...


        Awesome...

        And then that extra special happening...


        So very lucky I was... and one of those moments when for me I'd rather share the event than be concerned in lack of photo quality.  Baby looking out the nest is definitely what is seen.

        That photo happened on January 13, 2013, before 8am, and was a Sunday.
Why so special?
        By 8am, baby left the nest.
Though I didn't see the event my neighbour did and called me.
        All I'll mention about my response is I'm thankful for digital and gigabytes, because if I had been using film, I'd have used up rolls of the stuff.

        One beautiful Kookaburra baby's first morning out of the nest...








        I really did curb my urge to add more.
So glad the baby was used to me, because I was able to be close, especially when I laid on the ground and therefore was sort of in the vicinity of being the same height as bub.

        Out of the nest and with the parents... towards the end of January.  Though the first one is baby amid Grevillea Robusta's leaves.  Green from the rain, and baby's first experience with being wet..


        I have the pleasure of that view from my back steps.

        I like the next photo because with Kookaburra parent's mouth open you can see the palate..


        They were at the bottom of my back-steps, and the food is organic meat I rolled with vegetables and a protein supplement called Insectivore (finely crushed insects).
        Baby's so healthy.  The parents really did a fine job in rearing their beautiful youngster.  I was so privileged to have been part of the process.

        Baby and parent..


        And so pleased have one with both parents and their baby...


        Baby's on the right.
I have sights like that everyday right outside my door.  I can just sit on the back steps and enjoy.
Very fortunate I feel I am.

        I made the photos small in size for easy uploading, so they'll probably be small when viewed via the viewer, but now I'll finish with some information about Australia's beautiful Laughing Kookaburra.

        A map showing the areas the Laughing Kookaburra inhabits in Australia...

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Dacelo-novaeguineae
And also some basic information from...
        http://www.ozanimals.com
Laughing Kookaburra - Dacelo novaeguineae - is also known as Bushman's Clock, simply because first thing in the morning and often at dusk, the Kookaburra does its laughing song.
        The average adult size is about 45cm/nearly 18inches.
They like to roam around open woodlands, forests, orchards, parkland, partially timbered
farmland, and suburbs and towns.
        Meat foods they enjoy eating.. like large insects, lizards, snakes, amphibians, small mammals, birds.
Large prey is killed by swinging it against a branch or fence.
        Having Kookaburras as neighbours is excellent where snakes are concerned.  With snakes being good tucker for a Kookaburra, means less snakes to bother me and my critters.
        Though hollows in trees and old termite mounds, like I've shown you here, are used for nesting, Kookaburras will also use earthen banks.  The burrows may reach over half a metre/about 2ft into the ground with an entrance of about a 10cm/nearly 4inches in diameter.
        That diameter sizing would equate to the opening bub had in the old termite mound.

        I'm not sure whether Kookaburra's dig out their own burrows, or find ones vacant and unused like they do the old termite mounds or hollowed out trees.  I would need to do more research, which I haven't done at this time, apologies.

        The white eggs Kookaburra lays, hatch within 25-29 days.
I loved being near the nest so I could hear the baby, it was how I first became aware a baby Kookaburra was happening, and explained the times of extended families of Kookaburras visiting, all chorusing together.
        Baby was very welcomed by the Kookaburras in the area in general, and there was always a Kookaburra in a tree nearby keeping watch.

The Link with the Map is worth a visit if you'd like to hear the Laughing Kookaburra's song.
Another link is...
        http://birdlife.org.au/images/uploads/audio/kookaburra.mp3
Also..
        http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2009/10/14/2712935.htm
With that last link you will also discover information about Laughing Kookaburra's relative - Blue-winged Kookaburra (D. leachii)

        I do hope you have enjoyed meeting my beautiful Kookaburra parents and their beautiful baby,  I know for me the experience was purely wonderful.

        And I've managed to fulfil this Post in time for Australia Day.. January 26th
The Kookaburra is a nice way to celebrate Australia


With thanks for your visit.
magda and crew

Don't hesitate to view other Bird Enthusiasts contributing
Just Click on the 'Wild Bird Wednesday' Logo on my Side-Bar


 'Wild Bird Wednesday' is part of Stewart M's Blog
Paying Ready Attention - Photo Gallery
so just check his Side-bar for 'Wild Bird Wednesday' Postings.


 While there, explore Stewart M's Blog, you won't be disappointed.

21 comments:

  1. magda!!!!! WOW!!! what wonderful pictures you were able to get of the kookaburra family!!

    the older pic of the baby when he first came out of the nest...OH, so CUTE!!

    and that nest!! another WOW!! i never even heard of a termite nest ON a tree!! amazing. the pic of him peeking out the hole! wonderful!!

    ALL the pictures you took are GREAT magda!! i think the kookaburra is such an adorable bird...and you ARE very lucky to have the family so close to you.
    can't wait to see more as the family grows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I still find myself rather perplexed when I see termite nests hight up on trees. I think the most curious part is the tree is never damaged... So I suppose they either pick trees whose timber they don't like to munch on, or they simply don't eat the tree that houses them.
    Whatever the reason, those abandoned nests are ideal for birds to nest in and rear a family.

    Baby is truly cute, I soooo agree.. I was quite gooey having the time I did with it.
    And Laura I experienced another as mentioned in the Post almost a year to the day emerge from the nest, only this time right in my yard... pure bliss the experience was.

    Then during December 2014, three more babies happened. Which makes two successful nestings in one year.
    These new babies are not from the nest shown here, but further out on the acreage.
    Two are from one set of parents and one from another pair.
    The pair that had two I feel strongly are the parents from the baby shown here, and the baby I've yet to do a Post on. So yes more Kookaburra Posts will definitely happen.

    With the recent influx, which I don't have photos of..I'm having a holiday from my camera.. I need to focus on the heaps of photos I have instead of just adding more...
    But back to present because I was recently helping with food for this new lot.
    It is more than awesome having two sets of parents, three babies, and some relatives all land in the yard at the same time to share food from the one bowl.
    That lot were so hungry by the time they asked for help, I'd fill a breakfast sized bowl twice with chopped pieces of meat, and the bowl would still be empty.

    We've recently had good rain, and I've noticed one bowl is sufficient, with some leftovers beginning too.
    And they didn't come at all yesterday evening.
    So I gather they are sated, and finding sufficient naturally again.

    I am truly fortunate being where I am for all its inadequacies, What I experience here with wildlife is utterly wonderful and morally and emotionally supportively uplifting and encouraging.

    Wildlife have shown me over the years that feeding them when they ask does not make them dependent.
    The hard part is renting... I am only there for them while I can be.

    I still remember with love the wildlife who became my friends in past rentals, just as much as I love the wildlife friends I have where I am now.
    They enrich my life with their friendship gift.

    oh, and before I forget again...
    Shiva the possum is back... and is a she.
    I was utterly delighted seeing her again on the sill.

    Thanks so much for enjoying this Post Laura. This is definitely one of the ones special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Magda, I absolutely love this story of your dear Kookaburra family. What a privilege to live amongst them like you do. We only receive fleeting visits from one - I don't think there are enough trees around us to encourage them to stay.
    How lovely of your neighbour to alert you to the fact that baby was to be seen at the nest! Your photographs are so beautiful - and, yes, the digital cameras enable us to click to our hearts content :D)
    A truly memorable post Magda, many thanks for sharing your precious moments with your feathery friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, was definitely a special time for me. And yes, I do feel very privileged to have them so very much part of my everyday life. It's just so awesome to be welcomed into sharing theirs with them too.

      Oh Susan.. if most of the urban developers have their way, and the property owners who just sell-off their land to them keep doing so without thinking about the Wildlife which inhabit the area, then there'll be very few trees, land, clean water-ways or dams for any of them to keep living anywhere to see and enjoy.

      Sadly, a neighbouring property here has been ploughed up to make way for heaps of urban houses.
      It's been horrible to see and hear. Now there's just wasteland waiting to have roads and other urban stuff put in I suppose. The run-off after rain has turned what was a beautiful clear dam on this property into brown dead looking water. Has to be horrible for the water-birds who live there and visit.

      I tried to do something... but I only rent, and the local council gave the okay for what is happening, and the property owners who may have been able to do something before it all began I presume didn't or didn't bother.

      I noticed the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos arriving, but haven't stayed. Whether they'll return and try again I don't know. They usually visit about this time each year since I've been here... from 2008. If they don't return this year, it will be a loss not to see their beauty or hear their quiet soft voices.

      The property across from me has already been subdivided, waiting for the urban sprawl to begin. Plus the 18acres associated with here where I rent will be sold-off too when the receiving price is right.

      It's all too horrible to think about.
      I just wish to be in possession of sufficient money to buy large acreage to turn into a Wildlife haven. If done right, can legally remain so indefinitely and be safe from developers.. so don't like that word.. just doesn't describe what most really do.

      I really don't understand the housing market. Even just opening a local property sale paper there are just so many places for sale. Always is. Why there is a need to keep destroying bushland to make way for more houses is beyond my understanding. Especially when these urban sites have houses sitting side-by-side, back-to-back, and face-to-face with just a roadway in-front of them.
      Country towns I feel really should be allowed to be country towns. Built on with the natural flora incorporated so Wildlife still have somewhere to live. Would be so much nicer than to just strip an area into wasteland like I'm seeing happening here.

      So stories like this one I Post are very special, and I so appreciate them being acknowledged and enjoyed. They will in time simply be what was, becoming the history of the area. The experiences one used to be able have.
      I am fortunate to still be experiencing the variety of Wildlife I do, and I'm very glad I am
      Thanks for visiting Susan, and thanks for being you.

      Delete
    2. I understand your frustration Magda. It's the way of the world isn't it. Perplexing problems driven by basic needs, rights by individuals and the natural world, bad planning, money.

      Thank goodness there are still many pockets of bushland around for the wildlife - they may have to move on, but in our lifetime they can survive. All we can do is hope fondly for the future and enjoy the present.

      Cheers now Magda!! :D)

      Delete
  4. Hello
    Love reading your post Magda! Was worried all my photos I sent over loaded your computer!
    Hope all is well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, very pleased you enjoyed it.
      You sent me links to your photos, so there was no problem with over-load.
      And even visiting didn't create a problem with your photos being on the web.

      I'm doing heaps better with the weather being to me now a more normal concept for Summer.
      The weather was awful for awhile as you know. Thankfully the rain has been good, and the heavy heat has backed-off
      Till next time...

      Delete
  5. Thanks for a very interesting post and fantastic photos. The ones of the very young bird show how fluffy it is just at first. You live in a wonderful environment and are so lucky to have birds like this close to you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcomed Mick, am very pleased you've enjoyed this Post.
      For now, yes, I am very fortunate being able to rent in such a wonderful environment.. but that is already changing... urbanization is encroaching.
      The neighbouring property has been stripped bare, with run-off water making a mess of the dam on this property.
      Sadly, moments like I've shared with this Post will possibly end. This property will eventually be laid bare too for urban houses I presume. And the one across from me is waiting for it all to begin.

      Don't know what will happen to all the birds and other Wildlife.
      Not a tree was left on the property being worked on. Even a huge Red-gum, I was told was more than a hundred years old was shredded into wood-chip.
      I'm glad I didn't see that.. my heart may have shredded too.

      I know Wildlife can be hardy, and figure-out how to adapt, but so very hard to do when all the trees are removed and the waters become muddy.

      The yearly arrival of the Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo happened a few days ago, but they haven't stayed. Sad. Hope they'll come back. Possibly the machinery noise put them off as well as the wasteland they saw.

      Really appreciate your visit Mick. Has been a pleasure to share this special event.

      Delete
  6. Wow.... you got some really great shots ... what fun too. The little guy on the ground ...sooooo cute........love them all. I'm glad they were all okay....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting BumbleVee, very appreciated.
      Yes, I so agree with you, baby Kooky was utterly cute... I had to force myself to stop doing photos.
      The Parents arrived which helped me stop.
      Was a whole new adventure for the parents with discovering their bub was now out.
      Thanks so much for enjoying the photos, and it is always a relief when stories like this turn-out good.

      Delete
  7. WOW! Amazing series of images of this Kookaburra family. I love seeing it peeping out of the nest adn then the first shots of it on the ground. SO cute. Yes it i great that we have digital nowadays to take as many shots a we wish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Magda, what an awesome post.. Your are so lucky to have and see these cute birds nesting and their young. I enjoyed the photos, they are awesome... Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos of the kookaburras. I love the young ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magnificent bird! Great photos!
    Happy Wild Bird Wednesday!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What an amazing treat to see the kookaburras nesting more than once, to get photos of them feeding the babies, and then the babies fledging! Then the kingfisher...those baby shots are unbelievably sweet! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these bird - I normally greet a Kookaburra with a "ah, Mr. Kook!' even when I am on my own!

    Tasmania is as good as the advertisements claim - although we did see a little too much Tasmania Sunshine (AKA Rain!) when we were there!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful as this beautiful bird in your garden ehbt sit.
    I think it's a beautiful bird to see.
    You have a very nice blog with beautiful pictures:-)

    Best regards,
    Helma

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope this finds you and yours doing well. May we display your header on our new site directory? As it is now, the site title (linked back to its home page) is listed, and we think displaying the header will attract more attention. In any event, we hope you will come by and see what is going on at SiteHoundSniffs.com.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Agen Judi Bola Online Agen Situs Judi Bola Online Uang Asli Termurah 2020

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate you giving the time to let me know your thoughts...
Good wishes and thank you from Magda